Saturday, June 8, 2013

Hocking Hills State Park: Camping

Hocking Hills State Park: Camping
OUR FIRE PIT, DOWN HILL FROM OUR TENT, WHICH IS DWARFED BY THE BIG RV NEXT DOOR.
I decided to break our Hocking Hills adventure into two posts.  This past week we tent camped for 2 days in this memorable Ohio state park.  It is about 45 minutes south of I-70 (and Columbus, Ohio).  Although very few Hoosiers seem to have even heard about it, my Columbus friends gave it raving accolades.  I have to admit, it was pretty fantastic.  For my Hoosier readers, think Turkey Run State Park, only bigger.    Unfortunately, I came down with strep throat the day before we left.  Needless to say, I was not in my typical camping ninja fighting form.  We still had fun, which goes to show that even strep throat cannot defeat the fun of a good camping adventure.

ARRIVING (I AM STANDING IN THE MAIN ROAD TO TAKE PICTURE)
So this post is dedicated to our review of the campsite and grounds.  We stayed at site #131 at Hocking Hills State Park Campgrounds.  Hands down, it was THE smallest site where we have set up camp.  It did not help that we were the grass hut between two skyscrapers, sandwiched between two of the largest RV's ever created.  I'm only exaggerating a little bit.

The site description said it was level, which also may have been a misnomer.  "Mostly level...maybe," would be a more apt description.  I always like to drive around to find the better sites, in case we return.  There weren't any!  I asked the welcome center lady, and she said that site # 141 might be the best.  Yet, she admitted it was not all that great.   Many of the sites are not even "mostly level," so if you brave it anyway, be sure to read the description carefully.

The bathrooms were clean-ish.  Not the best or worst we have seen.  I disliked the showers because there was just one curtain and no dressing area.  The shower head sprayed sideways so it drenched my stuff every time I opened the curtain to get shampoo.  I know, I probably should have put the shampoo in the shower and not on the shelf.  Cut the step throat lady a break here!  Still, bad showers make me cranky.  Just a word to the wise.

If we ever camp in Hocking Hills again, we will be trying someplace else.     

 

LEAVING (This is the entire site...just that strip to the trees and the driveway.  Picture does not convey the slope to the fire pit)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment